Last night, Jason and I took Landon to his first Braves game (thanks to tickets generously given to us by friends). He LOVED it! We realized that it was his first time in a big stadium of any kind, and I think he was truly impressed. The three of us had a great time (Noah stayed home with a babysitter), and it's a night I will always remember. I never expected it to have such an impact on me.
On Thursday, I had gone to dinner with some friends at a restaurant that slowly became the night life scene by the time we left. Caroline and I talked on our way out how we felt so far from that now and started reminiscing about the things that we missed (pre-children days). The drive home brought more feelings of-I guess in a sense-loss. By no means do I want to be in a bar trying to meet someone or anything like that. What I realized that night is that we (meaning Jason and I) will never again have that freedom like we did before we had kids (yeah--it's a little odd that I'm just now realizing this--seems like I should have figured that out 5 years ago). I think part of me always thought, "well, when the kids get older, we'll be able to do what we want again". Thursday I discovered, that wasn't true. 1. By the time they get older, we won't want to do those things, and 2. it's just flat out not the same. So, I mourned for the years of my 20s for a large part of Friday (hey--we had some REALLY FUN times!). That is, until we went to that Braves game. I can't explain the feeling that I had sitting there with my husband and oldest child experiencing something through his young eyes. Jason and I looked at each other several times throughout the night and just smiled. I think Landon's favorite parts had little to do with the game--he loved the music and running the bases on the sky field. My favorite parts were seeing the excitement written across his face and the pride filling his daddy's eyes. The mourning of my 20s was very short-lived because nothing is better than the family we have created and the love that I feel for Jason, Landon, Noah, and the little girl growing inside me. Funny how it took a Braves game to remind me.



Running the bases (Landon did it about 4 times, Dad-just once)

Batting cage--let's just say we won't be holding our breath for a future Braves player. :)

What a night of pure fun does to a kid...

3 comments:
What a great story/reflective moment - thanks for sharing.
I am glad you had fun....great pictures too!!
I know exactly how you feel...we had that kind of moment last night too (Matt raced his first race)
Looks like you all had a great time at the game. I sure enjoy your blog and seeing all the pictures of the kids. Hope you are feeling well.
Post a Comment