Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pomegranate


Yesterday I cut a pomegranate in half and started munching away. A smile crossed my face as the sight of a pomegranate always reminds me of my mom. When I was growing up, my mom would buy a pomegranate or two in the fall. While we sat and watched football on a cool Sunday afternoon, my mother would bring out the "golden egg" for the two of us to enjoy. Covered in towels so we didn't stain anything with the juice, the two of us would savor every bite of that pomegranate. I don't remember my brother or sister ever taking part of this ritual. If they did, it was when I was too young to remember. So, for me, this is one of those special times for just me and mom. Anyone who knows my mom knows that popcorn is a food group in her pyramid. The kids pretty much expect to have popcorn if they spend the night with Grandma and Papa. Even Abby knew my mother's love of the kernel. As soon as she walked into their house, she ran over to my mom's spot to see if there were any leftovers on the floor. So, popcorn will forever bring the image of my mom into my head, but the pomegranate...that lovely fruit brings the memory of just the two of us and our forever growing relationship.

Obviously, my mom has taught me a lot over the years, but one of my most favorite lessons is that sometimes life is best with a pomegranate in hand and football on TV. I hope that I find a pomegranate for me and my daughter to enjoy. Isn't that what a mother/daughter relationship is all about?

3 comments:

Sally said...

So Mom would actually give you a whole half? She used to give Woody and I just a few seeds at a time. They do remind me of Mom and in fact I have one on my counter right now for when I can enjoy it. I share a few seeds with my kids....but never a whole half!!!

I was told that Pomegranates eaten during pregnancy produce beautiful children.....

JMarques100 said...

Pomegranates remind me of your Mom too. Personally I never cared for them, but I think of Carol when I see or hear about them.

Rebekah said...

This is the best story I have ever heard. I need a daughter, Lisa! :)