Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The second ultrasound

Well, I can't say that we know a whole lot more than we did before we went to our appointment today, but I can say that we feel good about it all and do not plan to do further testing (an amnio). The two choriod plexus cysts were still there, but like before, everything else looks fine. They found no other abnormalities which makes us both feel like this little one will be okay. I am also comforted by the fact that my AFP test had come back normal a couple of weeks ago. I've also done a little of my own research, and very, very, very few isolated cysts have resulted in a chormosome disorder. The doctor emphasized that even though she appears normal, it does not automatically mean she does not have trisomy 18, and she's still at a higher risk for having this because of the cysts and my age--34; however, the risk is not quite as high as it would be if other things were found. We decided against the amnio because the thought of miscarrying a healthy baby was harder for us to accept than if she has something wrong with her. I truly believe that God will take care of us, and she will come out healthy and ready to take on her brothers. If that's not His plan, He'll carry us along the way. As I sit here writing this, I'm feeling her move, and to me, she's telling me we're doing what's right.

So, now I feel like I can finally be totally excited that we are having a girl! The tech today also said it was a girl, so we're feeling confident that she won't give us a surprise when she arrives. I really can't believe we're getting a little girl. I'm a little nervous b/c I just know boys, but I tend to learn quickly, so I'm okay with having a girl in the house. :) When I start to think of the things we need to buy, my head starts to spin, but at least we don't have to buy the big items--just clothes, pajamas, clothes, bedding and such for her room, clothes, blankets, clothes, towels (at least 1 or 2 that aren't blue and say "Thank Heaven for Little Boys"), bibs (same story as the towels), and did I mention clothes???? I wish you could see my smile right now. Thank heaven for little boys AND little girls!

Thank you to those who called or emailed with encouraging words! You will never know how much it meant to me and calmed my overly active brain with the what-ifs. She's still at a higher risk, so feel free to keep her in your prayers if you can spare a few. For me, my prayers will continue as they did with all of my pregnancies, but with this one, I'm adding a big dose of Faith.

4 comments:

Sally said...

You know I will be helping with the clothes....the towels....the bibs....I can hardly wait!!!

Baby Girl has already brought so much joy....can you imagine when she arrives!!! We need more girl power in this family!!

We love you all so much and will walk every step right along with you!!!

Sally said...

You know "Faith" might be a great middle name!!!

JMarques100 said...

You need more girl grandchildren in your family and I'll continue to pray that this one will be fine. Doctors sometime worry so much about things. I guess they just need to make you aware of the possibilities. Baby girls ARE so much fun. I think their clothes are cuter than boy clothes. Of course, they do grow into teenage girls which sometimes isn't so much fun, but you have YEARS before that happens :-)

Take care - Julie

Bev said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Lisa, Jason and baby Seabolt. One good thing about you being so busy is that you don't have time to dwell on much of anything. With our enormous family praying for the health of this little one, we feel certain that He'll be listening. In a few months, your family will be overjoyed at having a new little girl to love. Our love to all of you.