There are days when I just want to talk to an adult, have an adult conversation, and not have to explain something to a child. Sometimes when Jason comes home, I bombard him with talking. I just want an adult to communicate with. He wants to finally relax and not talk, I'm sure. If you don't stay home full time with your kids, you probably don't totally understand this. That's okay. I didn't either until it became me. Here is a sample conversation we had the other day in the car:
LCS (Landon): Mom, why are the bugs white on the window thing (windshield)?
Me: When they hit the windshield, they splatter.
LCS: What's splatter?
Me: When they hit, their guts go everywhere.
LCS: What are guts?
Me: (heavily sighing) The bug's insides.
LCS: Huh?
Me: (bigger sigh) You know, when you smash a bug, all the guts splatter on the floor. That's the same as when they hit the windshield.
LCS: I don't get it.
Me: When a car is coming, a bug doesn't get out of the way, so they hit the windshield, splatter, and die.
LCS: Oh--like a person (not sure what he meant here until the next sentence). A person gets out of the way when a car comes, but the bug doesn't.
Me: Yes.
LCS: I get it.
*I just smile because I know we can go back to the peace and quiet of driving and listening to 95.5 The Beat! :)
Everyday--there are conversations like this. Not bad, I know. But is it wrong for me to yearn for a conversation here and there that doesn't require an explanation? I don't think so. At the same time, I started this blog to record conversations like this, so I must not mind that badly. :)
Side note: as I was writing this, the boys came downstairs not knowing I was here. I hear Landon say "You know what Noah? I love you". I'll be recovering from my melting heart now!
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I TOTALLY remember those days :-)
I did the same thing to Tony.
Post a Comment