Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's a.....

GIRL!!! We are so excited, and I have to say a little surprised. Of course, I already did a little shopping today. :)

Everything looked good on the ultrasound, and I'm right on schedule at 19 weeks. However, we got a call later this afternoon from the doctor saying that they found two cysts on her brain, so they want me to go to a specialist for another ultrasound. I don't have an appointment yet, but I believe I should have the ultrasound within a week or so. These types of cysts can be associated with trisomy 18, a disorder characterized by severe mental retardation and multiple abnormalities. Only 5% of infants with this survive the first year after delivery. The good news is that last week I took the AFP test that shows the risk of having this or down syndrome, and it came back normal meaning I have a very low risk. Also, the doctor said everything else on the ultrasound measured as expected and the heart looked good (with trisomy 18, almost all cases have heart defects, so it's a big deal her heart was healthy). So, her cysts seem to be isolated, and from what we have read, more than 90% of these resolve spontaneously by the 28th weeks' gestation. Once resolved, the cysts do not recur and there will be no delay in development. Jason and I both feel like everything is fine. The doctor said many times that they just want to make sure and get a second opinion that everything is okay. She said that she would be very surprised if anything is wrong with her. At first I wasn't going to put all of this on the blog, but I figured she could always use the extra prayers. As expected, I'm nervous, but I really do feel like she's okay. I'm just ready for that next ultrasound!!! We are so happy it's a girl, but all we really want is a healthy baby--boy or girl. So, if you get a chance, can you say a little prayer for Baby Girl Seabolt?

4 comments:

Sally said...

We are SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!

I can't wait to buy clothes, make girl stuff and hold that little lady!!

I am still feeling such a calmness about the well being of that little baby!!!

No matter what the outcome, SHE (or He if he is tricking you) is perfect to me!!!!!!!

Aunt Sally

JMarques100 said...

Congratulations on the baby girl! Little girls are LOTS of fun to buy for. We were able to babysit Savannah last Friday. It's fun having a baby in the family again after all these years. Sometimes I think doctors worry TOO much about pregnancies. Hopefully this is true in your case. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Julie

Bev said...

Congratulations, we are so happy for you....imagine a baby girl with 2 wrestling brothers! We'll keep you in our prayers, but we, like you, feel everything is OK. I enjoy reading your blog, Lisa.

Todd Heppler said...

You do such a great job on your Blog, Lisa.

How wonderful that you and 'the boys' are expecting a baby girl! That's terrific news, so contratulations.

Deb and I had the whole geneology talk as well and I know how sobering that conversation is. Savannah was flagged as high risk too, but the the tests all pointed another direction and in the end, the concerns faded.

I'm confident that the numbers are on your side and that your baby will be as healthy as the boys were.

Best wishes to you and the boys.