Saturday, April 2, 2011

And in conclusion...

So, I didn't write again on Thursday (due to the nightmare of my picture posting and how long it took me, I was more than okay to take a break). I also didn't write on Friday--for which I have a very good excuse--I had to get ready for the garage sale that we had today. I spent most of Friday cleaning, working, hanging with the kids, doing anything I could to avoid blogging, and once the evening came, it was time to take everything to the garage and start pricing. We had it all ready to go by 8:30 this morning, and I'm more than happy to report it was a success. We made about $380 which isn't too bad if you ask me. We had no furniture (besides the changing table that didn't sell), so we were very pleased with our results. What I found odd and a little surprising was how hard it was for me to see our baby items go. Believe me, I was definitely ready to clean out the storage room and be done with it all, and I definitely don't want any more babies. But when a couple bought the pack & play, I had to restrain myself from grabbing on to the rails and holding on for dear life. I had three babies in that thing. We had packed it so many times in the car, it had become a part of us and our trips. It had flown out to South Dakota, had been camping, had made the trip to the beach several times, and had spent the night in friend's and family's homes many times. Now it's someone else's, and it was a feeling I wasn't prepared for. The good news is that our storage room is very clean. The good news is that more money is in our pocket. The good news is we had three healthy babies use that stuff. The sad news is that they will never use it again.

The point of this last entry of the "experiment" was to write about what I discovered through the process. I discovered that blogging your day every day is hard and time consuming. I discovered that I can't stay up late to blog without being tired throughout the week. I discovered that although I feel like I have few free minutes in my day, my life is pretty mundane. I discovered that blogging can take over your mind--always thinking "should I blog about this?" or "how can I make my day sound more exciting than it was?". And I discovered that blogging didn't solve my issue of being bored. That's right with all of the craziness in our life, I'm bored. It's not as if I have nothing to do, so it's not that type of boredom. It's just that I need something else.

I've said before that I'm very much a next-step type of person. I'm not content to stay in one place in our life for very long. Meet Jason, date, move to South Carolina, get married, have child, move back to Georgia, have more kids, get another dog, move to Marietta...oh wait. That's what hasn't happened. We are stuck in this holding pattern. We can't do any improvements to our house because we won't get our money back on it. We can't look for a new house and try to establish a home that we will be in for many years to come. We can't plan for that next step in our lives. We're stuck in Loganville.

Thankfully, I like our house just fine. Thankfully, all three kids are going to good schools. Thankfully, we have a church that we like. Thankfully, I have a gym that makes me happy. Thankfully, there are great opportunities for the kids to play sports.

We have met several people here, but I hesitate to get close to anyone. I know that I don't want to be in this part of Atlanta, so why get too involved in a friendship? There are a couple of people I really like , but overall, send me back to East Cobb, please. I have family there and many friends there. It's where I want to be.

We have been very patient in our house selling adventure. It's been over a year, and although we've been in a buyer's top two favorites a couple of times, we have had no contracts. I have mastered getting this house ready in an hour. The kids and dogs have become pros in getting out to let others view our home. We have gotten used to being beaten out by foreclosures. We have done our part in selling our home.

I think I thought taking on the journal challenge would give me that ah-ha moment. That lightbulb going off to tell me how I could deal with this boredom. That something that I needed. Unfortunately, it didn't. Really all it did was remind me how the day to day duties aren't too exciting. It's life, and I need to learn how to feel more comfortable on this step we've been on for a while now. I need to find a way to be content. So, I'll try. We still live our lives as if we'll be here for a while. All the kids are registered for next fall's school year. Plans for sport playing continue as if we'll be here for years. Participation in church activities continue as normal. We are living. But I won't lie...every day I open my email to see if God has sent something from above to let me know how long I have to be here. I think we need to get the Big Guy some internet service. I might have better luck getting my wished for email.

No comments: