Thursday, April 28, 2011

To be a princess...

In anticipation of tomorrow's royal wedding, I started thinking about why we are so enthralled with the nuptials of two people we don't know, of two people that don't live in our country, of two people that will never "rule" over the United States. On facebook, I had a friend say that she had set her alarm and was excited that she would be able to watch a portion of it with her sweet daughter. I was almost envious and wished that Lilah was a little older so we could watch it together. I practically stopped in my tracks when that thought crossed my mind and asked myself "why?". I wouldn't wish that life on Lilah--the scrutiny, the lack of privacy, the constant worry that she's doing what others think she should. And then it kind of hit me---as females, we're almost trained to want to be a princess. We already ask Lilah if she's our princess. She'll say "I'm Daddy's princess" without hesitation. She loves her helmet that has princesses decorated across it. She wears her princess shoes whenever she can. And let's not forget the tiara. Let's face it, we girls want to be a princess.

But what I realized in my thoughts was that I'm not that interested in the life that Kate Middleton is about to lead. I almost pity her for that. What I want to see in this wedding is the love between two people. I want to see the Prince smile when he sees his bride walking down the aisle. I want to see her proud face as she is about to become his wife. I want to see a kiss that seals the deal. (I'm not gonna lie, I also want to see what a royal wedding gets ya.) I want to see that girl become a princess because let's face it, we were all princesses on our wedding day. And believe me, my little Lilah will be the most beautiful princess in the world the day she says I do. Yes, for Kate Middleton, her wedding day will signify the day she truly became the Princess of England. But for the rest of us commoners, it was the day that we agreed to marry that one man who in all ways was (and is) our prince.

So maybe your prince is the Prince of England, or maybe your prince came from Conyers, GA. Either way, I think it's fun celebrating another girl's day of being a princess.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Nicely said...

You know my name means "princess" (well Sarah does and Sally is a nickname of Sarah) and I think I fit the bill quite nicely ;-)

Davis was so excited about the Royal Wedding and wanted us to tape it....why I don't know. He was quite excited to see it this morning while he got ready for school.

Jennifer said...

I wouldn't want that life either but I do wish to feel more like a princess at times. The doting, pampering, etc. I do love my prince from congers! :)