Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Small victories

Yesterday I started "formally" potty training Noah. He's been going in the potty here and there for the last few months, but yesterday was the day that I said no diapers (well, besides overnight). Although he did use the potty a few times, he had two wet pairs of underwear and a wet pull-up (which was at the gym, so I wasn't there to encourage him to go). The last few weeks have been a bit trying for me. I don't seem to have enough time to do anything, and yesterday I hit that brick wall of defeat. I wasn't sure I was going to have the energy to potty train this little boy, and to be honest with you, I wasn't sure I cared. Then came my small victory. I was in the kitchen getting dinner ready (post-self-pity-crying-fit), and Noah came down from Landon's room in a hurry. He was holding his little underwearless self and running to the bathroom. He got there in time and peed in that potty like the big boy he is. I felt hope at this time but still had a feeling that I would find those undies upstairs wet as can be. When he finished his business, I asked him if his undies were wet. He replied with a sweet "no", but that really doesn't mean anything when it comes to Noah. So, we went and found those little Diego underwear, and lo and behold, they were DRY! I picked up my 38 lb baby and spun him around and around-a deserved victory dance for the two of us. It came at just the right time because not only did I want to give up on potty training, I was giving up on me. That little pantless boy made me realize that what I'm doing isn't a total waste. Contrary to what it feels like most days, I am making a difference in their lives. It was a small victory that allowed me to wash the underwear he wet in about an hour later without complaint.

Today has already been better. He has not wet in his pants at all and even went potty at the gym twice. He did give me a #2 treat in a pullup at the gym, but he had not wet. He just woke up from his nap, and he was dry. I'm proud of him even though I know we have a long way to go. This potty training isn't easy for any of us, so I'm taking it one step at a time.

Here's to dry underwear and small victories!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hang in there! A lot of mommies in my mommy group have given up and their kids are almost three. You and Noah can do it! We all feel overwhelmed at times but you are making a difference! You are a great mother and I've told you how much I admire you.

Sally said...

Being a Mommy is the toughest and most rewarding job out there!!!

It won't be long until you forget that you ever had to wash wet Diego underwear!!!