Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mothers

After last weekend with the girls, I've been really thinking about the different mothers that are in my life and how they have influenced me. Every woman mothers differently. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't. But overall, we respect their choices because most women do the best that they can for their children. The mothers I know are unique in so many ways, and I can't express the amount of respect I have for each of them. These are my moms--each giving me a little to strive for, a person to love fully, and a woman to admire immensely...
  • A sister who has been handed more than her fair share but always seems to see the glass half full. A woman who I had to promise that her young children would know her if anything happened after she was diagnosed with cancer. A woman who trusted me to do so.
  • A friend who struggles with infertility but adopted the cutest baby boy who was meant to only have her for a mom. A friend who let me be a part of the journey--something I'm not sure she realizes how much I appreciate.
  • A friend who listens to my complaints, offers her own, reassures me that I'm doing okay, and allows me to give her the same confidence.
  • A friend who told me that once Oprah is on, it's okay to have a beer or a glass of wine. I have spent many a day knowing that we were sharing a drink called motherhood.
  • A sister-in-law who pumped for over 9 months after her daughter wouldn't nurse. There is no way I would have done that, but I sure as heck admire her determination.
  • A friend who is paralyzed from the waist down but didn't let that stop her from having a child and hopes to add to her family.
  • A mother who has thought of her blended family as only a family. A woman who doesn't count blood when thinking of her grandchildren. A mother who did what she thought was best a long time ago.
  • A friend who does crafts and projects with her kids all of the time. A mother who wasn't in a rush to send her kids to preschool. A woman who always thinks of someone else. A mother who throws an amazing shower/party/gathering with ease. Our Martha Stewart.
  • A mother who sends a gift for Lilah with such selflessness, who offers something to someone she barely knows. A woman who should sell her talent, but instead only wants to give it for free. I think of what she's teaching her boys and get a little green with envy.
  • A friend who mothers her dogs like I do mine. She doesn't have children yet, but if that's in her future, she's already good at it.
  • A friend who found a way to make a little bit of money while being a stay-at-home mom. A mom who isn't afraid to try her luck at selling the bows she makes. My friend who still likes to play.
  • And finally, my mom. A woman that I continue to learn more about each day. A woman who sacrificed to raise her children. A woman who can manage money better than anyone I know. A woman who admits maybe not everything she did was right, but she doesn't regret what she did. A mother who never tried to be a best friend to her children which allowed us the closeness that we have today.
There are many more moms out there that have made an impact on me. That's the beauty of motherhood, I think. We make impacts in the smallest ways. We give ourselves completely, unselfishly, and lovingly. We give to our children, our spouses, our extended families, our friends. We do the best we can; yet we are our own biggest critics. Luckily, we have each other, and that alone makes us better mommies.

Cheers to MOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Sally said...

That was the nicest post I have ever read!!!

I hope you know what a great influence you are to all those moms on your list.

The mere fact that you would have made sure my kids never forgot me made me feel comfortable enough to play the hand I was dealt.

I also can't thank you enough for the "friendship" you have given Hannah!! I know she will always hold a special place in her heart for you.

Also, thank you taking Davis on so many occasions and understanding that he will cry when he is tired and allow him to call home.

Thank you for thinking of me in this post...what an honor!!!

Rebekah said...

I love you Lisa.

Shelley said...

I heart this post Lisa!

Jenn said...

I love this post :) I'm typing as Oprah is on - ha!