Sunday, January 17, 2010

Landon in 2010

I hesitated to start with Landon this year because I'm a little worried how it will come out. I can't say much about him right now that doesn't sound like a love-struck mother who is beyond proud of her first born. Our Landon started kindergarten this year--you know, real school. From 8am until 3:45pm, I have so little to do with his life. It was hard for me to adjust to at first, but I'm doing better--learning to let go a little bit at a time. He has thrived in elementary school. His reading development has floored me at times--reading at least a grade level ahead. I expected him to excel in math, but reading??? This Friday he took his second "timed" test. The kids are asked to read as many sight words as they can in one minute. Our kid read 87 words in one minute (the first time he read 70)! His mind blows me away. He's one of those kids who only needs to hear it once or twice, and he seems to know it. He has completely screwed it up for his brother and sister because he has spoiled Jason and me-we don't have to do much with him in regards to homework. We're thankful every day for his intelligence and natural ability to handle the school work that is presented to him.

My sweet boy has quite the fascination with girls this year. Much too early for my taste. I've realized that he is only getting the notion from the shows that he watches after school (Hannah Montana, iCarly, etc.), but it's very interesting to listen to him talk about these girls. He has had many girlfriends this year and will fake being sad about breaking up with said girls. Breaking up--really??? Quite the drama king. Like his father, he already has an appreciation for a pretty girl whether it's in "real life" or on TV. There was one night when he was watching TV with us, and he whispered in his daddy's ear "she's hot, right Dad?" when he saw Christina Aguilera. Let's just say Jason beamed. Tonight as we watched "Hope for Haiti", he commented that he thought Madonna "kinda looked good". He was in shock when I told him that she was in her 50s. Girl crazy at 6 years old?!?!? I think I'm in trouble.

My boy has grown up so much in the past year. He's gone from a little boy to a kid. I carry on conversations with him like I do a friend. He says 'dude' a lot and wants his hair long like his cousin Josh's. He responds with "yes sir " or "yes ma'am" without being reminded (well, without being reminded as much). We've lost him a few times to his DS (video game), but we really enjoy our game nights with him. That kid can play a mean game of UNO, Trouble, or Connect Four. He can work my iPod Touch like he was born with it in his hand, and he definitely doesn't need me when it comes to the computer. He plays well with his little brother, but they can also fight well together. His little sister is taken with him, and he still proves to be good to her. He is the big brother--taking time to teach his siblings a little something here and there. Tonight I sat in the background and listened to him work with Noah on his 'L's. Noah says "Wiwah" for Lilah, "Wandon" for Landon, etc. Landon patiently repeated his name, emphasized the "L", and cheered when Noah said it correctly. He's good to our little ones. He's really good.

With as much that has changed with him, an equal amount remains the same. He still loves football and sports and wants to know who you are cheering for. He is still a sensitive child who can get upset over a small thing. He continues to be quite competitive and wants to win. He's eager to learn but doesn't boast about his accomplishments. He remains our guinea pig and teaches us how to handle each new stage. He'll forever be paving a path for his younger siblings.

His eyelashes are still long. His smile still warms my heart. His hugs still give me chills. His sense of humor still shines bright. His forgiveness still makes me better. His affection, admiration, and trust still make me wonder if I'm worthy. And luckily, he still reminds me that I am.

Loving you always, LCS!


This is what you get on your birthday when you have a 6 year old. Notice the heart for the 'o'.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

He is so beautiful and bright! Love your thoughts on your first born son and I admire your dedication and your love for him. So sweet!!!

Sally said...

Very nice...that Lou is still on the top of my list too!!!