Friday, July 31, 2009

Happy Day

Today I'm just kind of smiling. I have a little hop in my step (according to Jason, I walk that way all of the time, but this time I'm referring to my mood). I think it started with last night. I had a fun time eating out and having a drink with my mother-in-law (MIL) and sister-in-law (SIL). On the way home, I was thinking about how lucky I was to have a MIL who I can be myself around, say pretty much anything I want around, and who really listens when I talk. She offers some advice but keeps most of it to herself knowing that we all have to go through these things on our own sometimes. On that drive home, I felt good that even though there is quite an age difference between me and my SIL, we get along, and I enjoy her company. I'm slowly getting to know more about her and her quiet humor, and I like that.

Once I arrived home, I went to check on my babies as I do every night. I went into Lilah's room and pulled on her pajamas to cover those sweet plump legs of hers. This stirred her a little and soon she was sitting up. Usually she just falls back down into her slumber, but this time she looked up at me, grabbed ahold of the crib, stood up, and silently held her arms out to me. I hestitated at first, thinking that I wasn't going to risk her waking up completely. But the strings to my heart tugged, and I reached for my little girl. She quickly wrapped her little arms around me, holding on tight. We stood in that bear hug position for a bit, and then I gently laid her back down. She grabbed her rabbit, rolled to her side, and fell fast asleep. Lilah just needed to say good night to her mommy. How can that not make my heart full?

The little things that have happened today to make my smile stay put:
  • All three kids finally sleeping in on the same day.
  • Having two boys wake up dry from the night.
  • Seeing my oldest hold up the dollar the tooth fairy left him last night.
  • Landon helping Noah unbuckle each time we got out of the car without being asked.
  • Hearing Noah say mocofydle when referring to the Hot Wheels car that he purchased with his own money. That would be motorcycle to you and me.
  • Lilah's amazing laugh in the grocery store. People were just stopping and laughing with her because it was so contagious.
  • The kindness the kids have shown one another today.
  • Having the yoga instructor come up and whisper a complement to me during class.
  • How each of us (well those that can speak) are working on talking nicer to one another. I literally see it on the boys' faces.
  • Noah putting his swim trunks on after lunch. He has worn them all week while we've been home, and I'm not sure why. We haven't talked about going to the pool due to the rain. He just wants them on.
  • The boys sharing their french fries with Lilah--each time asking me if the piece was small enough.
  • Having that anticipation of knowing that my husband doesn't plan on working late.
  • Getting an "I love you" email from that same man.
  • Knowing that--at least for today--our family is just so darn right together. The pieces fit.

No comments: