Thursday, June 17, 2010

5 seconds of fame

I made the rule when Landon was born that "my car, my music". Most of the time, the regular radio stations annoy me, so I turn on sports talk radio. The kids are used to this as it's what we listen to most in the car (we listen to a lot of music at home). Last Wednesday on our way home from the zoo, we were listening to the usual. The guys mentioned that they were broadcasting from a restaurant/bar right around the corner from our house. I asked Landon if he would like to go see them, and he said yes. I really had no intention of meeting them. I mostly thought it was a learning experience--showing them that the people they hear on the radio are real, and the boys could see them in action. One of the guys on that particular show was the quarterback for UGA when they won the National Championship. I explained this to Landon as we drove passed our home and went to the location. The four of us walked into the restaurant, and I pointed to the guys doing the show. I told my boys that those were the people they heard on the radio, wasn't that cool, etc. Well, Buck Belue (the former UGA player mentioned above) saw us and immediately walked over to meet the kids. I was so impressed with him and his interaction with my children. He asked each of their names (including little Lilah) and encouraged Landon to talk some Georgia football with him. He motioned to an intern to get the boys something, and he came back with two adult XL t-shirts (yes, that's all they had) and two personalized signed copies of a picture of him in that championship year. The boys were so happy, and both slept in those over-sized tees that night. What I thought was cool was what we heard once we were in the car getting everyone buckled and ready to head home...

Buck Belue: "Well, we just had Landon and Noah stop by to say hello. Landon's a big Georgia guy, and we're expecting great things from him in a few years".

My boys' five seconds of fame still makes me smile. Thanks Buck for actually taking time to meet the people who listen to you.

The boys wearing their t-shirts and holding their autographed pictures.
My sports-talk listening boys in their t-shirts.
When Noah asked why we were getting out of the car, Landon said "to see the guys who talk about the Braves and the Bulldogs". Ahhh--this mommy was meant to have boys.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

She listens to sports talk radio??? I am worried David might read this, Lisa. No wonder Jason loves you so much. You are the perfect girl and certainly the coolest mother.

Love this post!

Rebekah

JMarques100 said...

Awesome!! The boys will remember that for a long time.