Friday, February 19, 2010

Lilah in 2010

I'm always amazed by a child's first year of life. They start as this little being that is helpless, needs everything given to him/her, and can't do anything for themselves. And then they grow, and they grow, and they grow. All of the sudden they are 15 months old, and you wonder how that little bundle of joy that just wanted milk, a clean diaper, and lots of sleep turns into a little girl who communicates, shows her own strong personality, and can do more and more things on her own daily. In a year, she did this:
  • at almost 4 weeks, she smiled at us.
  • at 9 weeks, she let her mommy sleep all night long.
  • between 8 & 9 weeks, she laughed.
  • at 16 weeks, she rolled over.
  • at 16 1/2 weeks, she sat unsupported.
  • at 4 months, she started eating baby food.
  • at 4 1/2 months, she held her bottle by herself.
  • at 6 1/2 months, she started crawling (and any peace I had was gone).
  • at 7 months, she stood with the help of furniture.
  • at 8 months, she started eating real food.
  • at 8 1/2 months, she waved bye-bye and said "dada" and "mama".
  • at almost 10 months, she took her first step.
  • at 10 1/2 months, she started walking.
  • Then, she started talking.

After reading that, tell me how you couldn't be amazed by a child's first year of life. It's truly miraculous, isn't it? So, that's what Lilah has done over the past year. She keeps astounding us with her accomplishments, her growth, and her intelligence.

She is a girl full of attitude but sweet as can be. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to get it. She plays more and more with her brothers, and she loves to mimic her mommy. She plays with her baby dolls daily, but the obsession she once possessed with them has subsided. She loves, loves, loves to sit in chairs, climb on chairs, and move chairs. She loves animals and seems to share her mother's love of dogs in particular. We were in PetSmart today, and she squealed in delight when she saw a puppy.


Fortunately, she gives that same squeal when we pick her up from the playroom at the gym. If she could have it her way, I would be carrying her most of the day. Not Jason or Grandma or Papa or even Aunt Sally. Me. If you know me at all, you realize this doesn't work well for me. I get irritated, and she cries. I often tell Jason that he needs to remind me of this when she is a 'tween', and she wants absolutely nothing to do with me. I'm sure I'll think that I should have enjoyed the time she wanted me so close. Instead I'll remind her that she followed me and worshiped me (okay, so I'll exaggerated some) and thought there was nothing better in the world than being with me. ;) Don't worry--I spend a lot of time with my little girl. How can I not? She's great. She makes me happy. She makes me smile. She confirms that we were right when we went for #3. As I've said a million times, she completes this family. I feel a different responsibility to her than I do for the boys. I guess because I'm the one who has to teach her 'girl' stuff. I'm the one who has to ensure she's a strong woman who can take care of herself. I'm the one who will understand what she is going through, and I'm the one to help her through those times. I'm the one who has to teach her how to be a mom. I'm the one that will stand by her as she discovers who Lilah truly is.

Sadly, I can see my baby slipping away. For the boys, I tried to rush that stage, knowing that it would be a little easier on me the older they got. But with Lilah, I've tried to slow her down. Unfortunately, she won't have anything to do with that. There is not a question that the girl has a mind of her own. She helps me pick out her clothes, she cleans up, she gets her shoes for us, she'll take her plate from the table to the sink, she feeds Kasey, she brushes her teeth, and she climbs out of her booster seat. She'll say "Lilah" if you ask her her name. She's mastered saying "Noah", calls out "Dad!" often, and says "dadon" for Landon. If Kasey starts barking, she repeats "Kasey" until we go and see her. The other day we handed her something, and she said "cool". She's turning into a little girl-no longer a baby. I have to admit, it's a little harder on a mommy who isn't having any more babies.

So, I think I'll take time to hug on my cuddly pumpkin, and enjoy her while she still thinks I hung the moon--because a small part of me thinks that she's actually the one who got that moon in the sky. Don't tell her, though. I've got to make her think I'm tough. ;)

No comments: