Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's already happening...

Once in a great while, I will put a note in Landon's snack for school. It will be something simple like "Hope you're having a good day! I love you!", etc. I don't do it often--maybe three times this whole year. Earlier this week while we were discussing his snack, he said "Mom, don't include a note this time, though. My friends make fun of me when you do."

Sniff. Sniff.

I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Who are these so called friends? Do I need to go up to the school and tell them a little something about my notes?!?!? This is my baby--I can send him any notes that I want to, and they better keep their little mouths tightly shut. Okay, that wasn't exactly my reaction; however, I did feel like I had been hit, and I realized that it was starting. Mom isn't so cool anymore. Again, I was reminded that with each day that goes by, my children are taking steps away from me and creating their own lives.

The good news is that I'm not completely shut out yet. When I dropped him off at school after his doctor's appointment the next day, I went to give him high five so I wouldn't embarrass him. In front of another 1st grade class, my little man grabbed me instead and smacked a kiss on me.

Sigh...

I'll enjoy those kisses for the very short time I still have them.

No comments: