Friday, June 19, 2009

A Goodbye

As any former and current student of the University of GA knows, today the beloved Georgia Theatre burned down. I think we all feel a little part of us went with it. Such fond, fond memories I have of the Theatre...

A place where I watched many a band play (Jup
itor Coyote, Mel and the Party Hats, Five Eight), and a place where I knew I had drank way too much if I ended up there for late night dancing. A landmark in Athens, GA. A place where greats played when they weren't known around the country...REM, B-52s, Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews Band.

Georgia Theatre's beer gave you the worst hangover of your life with those not-so-clean taps of theirs. You didn't dare look down at the floor because you pretty much didn't want to see what was growing there. You had to bring along a pair of landscaping clippers to cut through the smoke-filled air. Sitting in the seats were meant for those who had had plenty to drink because I'm pretty sure they would be permanently condemned if anyone wanted to test them. And I won't even give you details of the bathrooms. But all that nastiness just brings a HUGE smile to my face. Many memories. Many, many memories.

Yesterday I was on the phone with my best friend, a roommate from college. We were discussing a clip of a college friend of ours who was on the Daily Show.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=230676&title=Tom-Folsom
He has written a book and was discussing said book with Jon Stewart. Caroline and I were talking about how proud we were of him but also laughing about the little things he did in the interview that so reminded us of our buddy from UGA. We started sharing our fun Tom stories and reminiscing about all the things we had done together. Tom was our goofball, and we loved that you could still see that while he was speaking so intellectually about this book that he has authored.

Of course this led us to further discussions about our carefree days in Athens, GA. Ahhh--I'll tell ya, I loved my college years. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but this time I would prefer for Jason to be at my side. We both have such a love for that city and university--I would have loved to have experienced it with him. Caroline and I can talk for hours about the times we shared in school, the fun we had with the guys (we only had 2 or 3 other girls in the group), and the things we learned along the way. Every time we drive into the city, a smile takes over my features because I really and truly just love that place and everything it has offered me over the years.

I mourn a little today for the loss of an iconic place. A reminder that things come to an end--at least an end of what they once were. A time when my biggest concern was whether or not I would find my friends out at the bars after I got off of work (gasp--it was before cell phones). A time where if I had $50 in my bank, I considered myself rich. A time of days at the pool, cute boys in the classroom, a 25 cent ice cream cone at Hodgson's, and a hungover meal at Waffle House (okay, so that last one hasn't totally ended). It was a good time in my life, and I'm so thankful I had the opportunity to experience it. Jason and I often say that we will more than encourage our kids to go away for college. I don't know how we'll pay for it, but the memories and the growing up you do while there are priceless. Everyone needs their own Athens, GA and Georgia Theatre. Everyone needs those kinds of memories.

So, today I thank you GA Theatre for some unforgettable times...

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Here, Here! A toast to Athens and GA Theatre. When are we moving there? I'm ready if yall are!!

Shelley said...

Sorry, you'd think as a UGA grad (with a degree in journalism nonetheless) that I'd get my words right. What I meant was..."Hear, Hear!"

Jennifer said...

Nathan and I have many memories like that in Americus. But we also have some of the theatre! Drunken memories of course. :)